Neurogenic Ltd. is a clinical-stage diagnostics company developing sensitive immunoassays to facilitate the diagnosis of mental disorders. Over the past 25 years, Neurogenic has been collaborating with colleagues from the Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, the Department of Psychiatry, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, the Beer Yaakov-Ness-Ziona Mental Health Center, Ness Ziona, the Geha Mental Health Center, Petach Tikva, and the Laboratory of Biological Psychiatry, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Beilinson Campus, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel to develop a straightforward, sensitive ELISA-based immunoassay to detect the pathological Platelet-Associated Antibodies (PAA) in the sera of adolescent and pediatric patients suffering from early-onset symptoms of schizophrenia. Neurogenic is now in the final stages of assay optimization. The company is planning full-scale clinical field testing and validation of the assy.
Key features of the schizophrenia immunoassay:
- PAA level separation across schizophrenic patients, patients with non-schizophrenic psychiatric disorders and normal controls
- Screening and Rule in/out test at initial visit, in outpatient clinic or in hospital
- Able to differentiate a schizophrenic patient from a normal control in the adolescent and pediatric age groups
- Able to differentiate a schizophrenic patient from a patient with a non-schizophrenic psychiatric disorder in the adolescent and pediatric age groups
- Clinically-tested macro-scale configuration has been successfully miniaturized onto a 96-well ELISA plate with high reproducibility
- Assay could be used in conjunction with initial behavior test scores to facilitate diagnosis